Thursday, March 17, 2016

Essay 2 Reflection

After performing some research and writing about the gluten-free diet, I discovered that I was not only trying to inform the audience about why there is a growing trend of the diet, but about all the aspects of gluten intolerance. At first, I thought I was just going to write about the numbers and statistics of the growing population of people trying out the gluten-free diet, but I realized that my audience would need more.  I went into detail about what gluten is and how it affects the body. The research taught me how gluten affects the immune system of people with celiac disease. I also thought I would be more personal about my own experiences and my family’s experience on being gluten-free, but I thought the audience would want to learn more about the diet itself than about me.
In comparison to my design plan and outline, I found that I was actually informing the reader more than I thought I would about celiac disease. In fact, I wrote more about celiac and its affects than about people without celiac trying the gluten-free diet. I also found more reasons than I thought I would about why the diet is growing, such as the popularity for Paleo diets and the placebo effect.

There were some aspects in my design plan that I did end up performing. I planned on using an image, an article, and a novel as my sources for my paper. I did use these three different types of sources effectively in my essay. Lastly, I stated in my design plan that the purpose for this communication was so the audience will have a better understanding as to why people are gluten free, why they see gluten free items on menus at restaurants, and even motivate the reader enough to consider whether or not they should go gluten free. I believe that I fulfilled out the purpose of this communication in my essay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment